Sunday, March 3, 2013

Make kindness your religion

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama 






Mahatma Gandhi said that you must be the change you wish to see in the world. How simply he put it! Just think of it, change at an individual level, brought on by such thinkers who can influence an entire nation..its amazing!

If every mother were to teach her children the importance of being kind at a very young age, it would get deeply ingrained in their beings. We hardly forget things that are taught to us in childhood. Even if it may not be obvious, your subconscious mind remembers the good things you learnt as a child. Even when you arent explicitly doing something to teach your child a good thing or two, your actions and words are constantly creating examples that they will follow.

As I write this, I just rememebered a few examples of kindness that had an impact on me. One of my colleagues Sunil told me how once every year, he and his wife cook enough food for a dozen or more people and they drive to one of the areas in the city with their 10 year old daughter to offer meals to the poor people there. He told me it means more to them when they cook the food themselves and serve it to those people personally. He says he is more than happy to do it himself. What a wonderful example they are setting for their child! That little girl has been watching her parents do this since years now. I'm quite sure kindness will have already become second nature to her by now. Some day when she starts a family of her own, she will surely pass on those values to her children. It all started to one simple but thoughful kind gesture by Sunil.

I have decided something just as I write this. I may not be ready yet to do what Sunil does. Hopefully some day soon it will be financially viable for me too. But in my own small way I still can do something kind. Starting this week, I will begin to keep aside a handful of rice grains in a separate container every week. I am sure in a few weeks I will have enough to give to my maid so that she can feed her family of five atleast one good meal.

I do not feel that spending money is the only way you could do charity. Its certainly not the only way you can express kindness. Something as simple as resolving to stop wasting food, water, energy today onwards and spreading that message to your children is good enough.

The simplest things are always the best, arent they?

Love, light, happiness and peace to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment